email: truckingwrite@gmail.com

Thursday, October 31, 2013

Letter to Classic Bike Guide


About 20 years ago, I did three things within three weeks. I moved into a new house, bought an old bike (by chance a Matchless G2) because the new garage didn't smell as a garage should, and on the advice of the bike's seller, started getting CBG. 

Reading about Dave Mills and his AJS model 8 in November's issue made me realise I was right on all three counts. The house is in beautiful South Devon, my garage smells wonderful and CBG produces great articles, like the one in which Dave talks about the pleasure in simply plodding around the lanes. The only difference being that here an AMC lightweight can be pretty exciting. There's a hill down into Sidmouth  that's so steep it always makes me feel like Evel Knievel on approach, John Surtees on the way down and Ted Simon arriving home at the bottom.

Speed, of course, is relative, like when Captain Mainwaring once asked Corporal Jones if his van could go any faster and Jonesy replied, ''What do you mean, we're doing twenty now''.

No comments:

Post a Comment