email: truckingwrite@gmail.com

Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Over the Hill and Far Away

When I was young a sore back meant nothing.  Aching shoulders, neck, legs, wrists, you name it, were soon forgotten and tiredness didn`t even figure. With every new day I seemed to inherit a new body.  And I could sleep anywhere, on anything, and for any period of time, short or long, and always awaken completely recharged. I slept in digs with half a dozen drivers in every room, across the steering wheel in my cab, or in the trailer, it didn`t matter to me, not then.  Even days off were no different in terms of comfort: I spent my time wandering the hills, resting at night in an old bivi bag.
Then, as I weakened with age, so the truck manufacturers introduced sleeper cabs of increasing luxury. I now sleep on a wide, comfortable bed. I can walk from driver`s seat to passenger armchair.  The cab is so high that I am able to sit at a table and chair below the bunk. I feed myself from a fridge using a microwave and a coffee maker keeps me refreshed all day and into the night. And when the curtains are drawn, just like at home, there`s power to light the room, run my phone and tablet, and keep me warm. 
Even the EU recognized the restful qualities of modern sleeper cabs, their suitability and comfort. Or so I thought.  I`ve just been told by the European Commission (Julia Kremer, DG Mobility and Transport Unit.  D3 Land Transport. Julia.Kremer @ec.europa.eu) that a Regular Weekly Rest cannot be taken in a vehicle: this concession, it seems, only applies to Daily Rest and Reduced Weekly Rest. So, every fortnight, if I`m away, I must find somewhere else to spend 45 hours – maybe I`ll have to dig out that old bivi bag and sleep on the ground next to my home from home.

No comments:

Post a Comment