email: truckingwrite@gmail.com

Saturday, February 4, 2012

Driven Mad

I get quite excited when the police publish examples of the trivial, `waste of our valuable time` 999 calls they`ve received.  For entertainment they are a great distraction, even if for just a few minutes. (“There`s a spider in my bath”, is my favourite so far.)  But, with this in mind, wouldn`t it be great if people like well-driven.net and safelydriven.com published similar examples of the idiots that must surely phone them. 
There could be several categories: 1. Near Miss, where the sound of skidding can be heard in the background in the aftermath of the caller having dialled the number while driving; 2. Swerve, signal, mirror, where the caller had attempted to change lanes on a motorway but there was a truck in the way;  3. “It`s only doing forty”.
If these companies do decide to go along with this small request, action needs to be taken quickly.  The proliferation of telematics will soon render this type of diversion redundant, and another source of comic relief will be lost. And that would drive me mad – we need all the fun we can get at the moment.
P.S.  I saw one on the back of a tanker trailer on the M42 the other day that said, “Driven Wisely?”  Now that`s got potential, I nearly dialed the number myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment